Monday, March 28, 2011

Cafe Rio copycat

I have tried a number of different recipes for Cafe Rio, but really I have learned you just have to adjust them to the way you like.  Well I finally figured out what my family likes, but how do you convert those recipes to feed 200 people?  And I guess the better question would be, how much meat, rice, beans, lettuce, pico, dressing, chips, sour cream... will 200 people eat?  Another question could be, will you have 50 people or 500 people?  How do you calculate?  I guess we'll figure it out.  Here are the recipes I use if you want them. 
Cafe Rio Recipe- Jen Pearson
Pork-
Pork roast or boneless spare ribs- cut into medium pieces, then boil in water until tender. (30 min)
(about 3 lbs)
1 can Coke
1 1/2 C brown sugar
1 can green chili's
1 can red enchilada sauce
Combine all ingredients, cook over medium heat until meat can be shredded and sauce is thickened.
Chicken-
3lbs Chicken breast
1/2 bottle Kraft zesty italian dressing
1 T Cumin
1 T Chili Powder
2-3 Garlic cloves- minced
Grill chicken with  some zesty italian.  Then combine all ingredients, cook over medium heat until meat can be shredded.
Rice-Creamy tomatillo dressing-
1:2 -Rice: Chicken broth or water and 1tsp bouillon1 ranch dressing mix packet
chopped garlic1 C mayo
juice from 1 lime1 C buttermilk (I use milk)
2 chopped tomatillos
Combine and cook rice as usual.chopped cilantro
chopped garlic
Stir in:juice from 2 limes
1 tbsp. sugar
chopped cilantroCombine all ingredients in blender. 
juice from 1 limeDressing will thicken in refrigerator.
salt and pepper
Pico-
Beans-3/4: diced tomatoes
black or pinto beans1/4: diced onions
1 tbsp olive oilchopped garlic
chopped garlicchopped cilantro
chopped cilantrolime juice
2 tsp cuminjalapeno- optional
jalapeno- optional
Drain 1/2 beans, combine all ingredients, cook over medium heat.

For the General Young Women's broadcast, our stake did a mother-daughter dinner in hopes that we would have a great turn-out.  Well to make a long story short.  We had a wonderful evening. Lots of yw, mothers and leaders, plenty of food for all (with some leftovers), plenty of help to set up and clean up, and a wonderful conference with a wonderful spirit.  But a couple things to note... don't make an entire 20lb bag of rice and make sure you keep the churro's warm until ready to eat.

I am so grateful for the gospel in my life, that I can serve others and influence them for good.  I am grateful for the wonderful family that I have, for their love and support.  Also, I am so grateful for all my friends who help keep me on the right path.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment