Saturday, June 11, 2011

MMM- Cajun Cooking

When it comes to spicy food, my poor Damon has to put up with all us light-weights.  I have been doing much better than in the past, but I still have to go easy on the spices.
Well I decided to make a meal just for him.  He has ordered Cajun chicken a few times at restaurants but we have never had it at home, so I got on the internet.
First off I needed to get some Cajun spice, but what is in Cajun spice?  After a number of different websites, I decided to make my own.  (I already had most of the individual spices.)

Cajun Seasoning
Mix together:
1/4 C Salt
2T Cayenne/Red pepper
1T Black pepper
1T Paprika
1T Onion powder
1T Garlic powder
1/2T Thyme
1/2T Oregano

(I guess I'll be making Cajun food a little more often.)

Then I got some Italian sausage at the store on the quick sale.  I love quick sale items.  You can get items that you wouldn't normally buy, but cheap.  The only thing is, you have to use it or freeze it right away.

So here's what I made.  And it was delicious. 

Whole wheat pasta, Cajun Alfredo sauce with Italian sausage, and sauteed green beans.

Here are the recipes I made up:
Cajun Alfredo
For chicken- 2 chicken breasts
Place in Ziploc bag with 2 tsp Cajun spices, coat chicken and let sit for 30minutes.
Cook chicken in 2T olive oil.  Set aside.  Slice into strips before serving.

For sausage: 2-3 sausage links, sliced.
Cook meat thoroughly.  Set aside.

Add 2 T white flour, to make roux.  If you don't want to use the drippings, use 2T butter or olive oil.
Add 2 C half and half (I used milk, cause that's what I had)
Gradually increase the heat to allow it to thicken.  Then add:
2 tsp Cajun seasoning (this was too hot for the kids, not enough for Damon, just perfect for me)
1/2 C Grated Parmesan/Romano cheese

Serve sauce over pasta with meat, diced tomatoes and scallions.  Top with Parmesan cheese.

I need a bigger stove.  You need to use multiple burners to have everything done at the same time.

Sauteed Green Beans
Wash and dry fresh green beans.
Cut off end, then into bite sized pieces.
Heat 1T olive oil or butter in saute pan.
Put in green beans with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
Cook until tender.  Serve.

We really liked this dinner, the flavor was really yummy, not just spicey hot.  The kids just complained that it had tomatoes and was too hot.  I just gave the little girls green beans and pasta with butter and Parmesan cheese on top.  That made them much happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment