Thursday, June 30, 2011

EWWWW Snakes

*Remember- my camera is still lost so I did not take pictures.
I decided today that I would get off my couch and accomplish something.  I admit, the last couple of weeks have been a little rough, I haven't done much of anything.  So I went out into the from yard and weeded, a lot.  Some of the weeds were almost 4ft tall.  It started to sprinkle a bit, but I was set on my project.  That was until I hit a snake.  Yep I hit him with the shovel.  the 1st third of his body was wiggling like crazy, while the other 2 thirds were limp as can be.  Gross!  I left my weeding for another time.
When my wonderful hubby came home, he took care of my "problem".  While showing the kids the details on his skin, Hailee started freaking out, "a snake, a snake".  Damon explained that he couldn't hurt her and that he was injured so he couldn't go anywhere.  Then she pointed over by the porch, there was a 2nd snake.  EWWWW- 2 snakes in one day.
Of course Damon turned this into a science lesson.  He held him down with a stick and showed the kids the patterns on this one and explained that they were both the same breed.  Then he put it in a box and went to the internet to find out what it was.  (I took no part in this activity.)

They are Western Terrestrial Garter Snakes
No matter the breed, I don't want them in my yard.  Damon took care of them (I didn't ask how), then went to making the little "artist's rendition" you see above.  He's so silly.


1 comment: