Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Cleaning Toilets for Service/Baptisms

Saturday was our turn to help clean the church building.  Just so you know I hate cleaning.  I barely even clean my house, but when asked to clean the church, we're there.  Of course we are the last ones there, which means we get the worst part... the bathrooms.  Anyone can wash windows or vacuum, but bathrooms always get left to the last one.  I think it is like a not-it game.  Should have shown up earlier.  So there we are cleaning the bathrooms and my little Ryann says, "Why does it stink in the boys room?".  Really I had no answer.  Why does it always stink so much more?  YUCK!  We finish up as fast as possible, mostly because I hate cleaning, but also because Hailee wanted to see a couple of her friends baptisms.

So we leave, clean up, Hailee and I change and head to the stake center.  HOLY COW!  There is no where to sit.  We were even a few minutes early and it is packed.  We find a couple seats in the very back, when one of the bishopric members comes up and asked me if I could be the chorister for a couple of hymns.  We head to the front to sit on the stand.  What an awesome sight... 13 little 8 year-olds, sitting with their dads, grandpa's, uncles... all dressed in white.  Then we look out and see all the families and friends there to support each of them. (They had opened up the gym for more seating.)  Truly a beautiful sight.
We were able to see 5 of Hailee's friends from our ward and from school be baptized and confirmed members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  I am so proud of each of these kids for making the decision to become members.  During the baptisms, the spirit confirmed to me the truthfulness of the gospel and it reminded me why we volunteer to clean the stinky bathrooms a couple times a year.  I am so grateful for my Heavenly Father and for my Savior Jesus Christ.  For their love and example.  I hope I can be this same example to those around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment