Monday, June 13, 2011

"I can eat a RAINBOW"

We checked this book out at the library the other day.
So of course we had to eat a rainbow for our Sunday dinner.
We made fajitas on the grill and thanks to the idea from Brandi, we made fruit pizza.
And...was...it...delicious!

I wish I had some kiwi and mandarin oranges, that would have looked awesome.

For this Fruit Pizza I used my 1/2 batch of my favorite sugar cookie recipe, a lite vanilla yogurt and plenty of fresh fruit.

Sugar Cookies
3/4 C Margarine or Butter
1 C Sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla (I used almond this time- nice change of flavor)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3 C flour

Cream margarine and sugar, add eggs and vanilla, add combined dry ingredients. Mix well.  Chill.  Roll out.
Bake 375 for 5-7 minutes.  For fruit pizza- Bake 350 for 10-12 minutes.

For the fajitas, we decided to use the grill.
First marinate whatever meat you want.  I used a steak I bought on the quick sale.
I don't know what it is marinated in, because Damon was my helper.  I know he used a recipe, but I'll have to ask what it was.  Either way, it was good, that's what counts right?
Slice plenty of red, yellow, orange, green peppers, and a purple onions.  Mushrooms would have been good too, I forgot to get them when I was at the store.  Oh well.
We like our steaks a little pink, but cook it the way you like.  For us, we set the grill to a medium heat and cooked the 1" thick steak on 4 minutes each side.  The trick to grilling meat is to only turn it once.  Add the veggies to the grill when you turn the meat.  Remove the meat from the grill and let it sit for a few minutes before slicing.
We served it up on warm tortilla's with sour cream, cilantro, cheese and salsa.
I forgot to add the cheese and salsa before we took the picture.  But they still looks great.


As for eating a rainbow, I think we did pretty good.  We didn't have any blue, but really the grapes are as blue as any food you will ever find.  I would even say it was all pretty healthy, okay maybe not the giant cookie, but everyone needs a dessert on a Sunday.

1 comment: