Thursday, June 9, 2011

Silly Kids Exercise

As many of you may know, I really like working out.  I especially like the feeling afterwards, the sore muscles and all.  After I wrecked on my bike last August, I have really had to cut back.  This has made me realize even more reasons why I enjoy working out.  The biggest reason is "me time".  I don't get me time very often.  I would take the kids to the daycare at the fitness center everyday and have an hour to myself.  I could run, bike, swim, lift weights, or just take a few minutes to relax (occasionally I would just shower and get ready for the day- kid free).  I loved being able to put my Ipod on, spend an hour to just think, or even visit with a friend.  I have to tell you, I miss those days.

After ULCER 2010- 108 awesome miles around Utah Lake
Because we are trying to pay off our medical bills as fast as possible, we had to cut out any extra expenses.  The gym membership had to go.  So now that I am pretty much healed, I have to get creative on my exercise (me time) routine.  (I had xrays the other day- they looked great, then I had a CT scan yesterday to make sure everything is healing through.  I go see the Dr. again next week to hopefully be released, at least for a few months.  I will have to have 1 more surgery to remove some of the hardware.)
I have been going to the church a few days a week to work out with a few other ladies in the stake, which is quite fun.  The kids all play or occasionally fight together.  And we all get to work out and visit.  But to be honest with you, I need a bit more to get back to where I was physically a year ago. 
So, I got online and checked out a few sites.  My brother told me about Crossfit, it is awesome.  They have a different "workout of the day" (WOD) each day.  Some days they are very hard, I couldn't do it if you paid me money.  Money might motivate me more though- who's offering?  Anyway, I really like it because they are so varied from day to day.  Your body never has time to get used to any one exercise. To start off I recruited a workout buddy (Damon) and made my own 10# medicine ball, we put a pull up bar in the laundry room, and we gathered up a bunch of random weights that we have had around.  On some of the days, we may not be able to do the WOD because we simply don't have the equipment.  So then we pull out a P90X video that works some of the same muscles and still get in a great workout.
We have been doing this now for a month and I can definitely feel that I am getting stronger.  And I can feel that I am less annoyed with my wee-ones.  I finally can take some time for me.  We have been working out in the evening right after putting the kids in bed.  Sometimes the kids will peek their little heads out of their rooms to watch. 
Well last night after dinner the kids were asking if they could work out too.  So we looked up the WOD for kids on crossfit kids and helped them to do it.  5 sets: 5 pull ups and 5 burpees. After finishing they wanted to keep going.  I don't know if it was because they wanted to work out more or if it was because they wanted to stay up longer.  Either way, they had a great time.
Ryann, Blake, and Hailee doing pull ups with Daddy's help.

Kids doing burpees.  Ryann is quite entertaining to watch.

 
Great job guys, you are so tough, keep it up.









No comments:

Post a Comment