Friday, December 16, 2011

I can't believe I did that.

Going to Walmart any time during the last couple of weeks before Christmas is a dumb idea.  I needed to get a bunch of groceries and was planning on price matching a number of items, so I had to go to the Walmart.  I was planning on going early in the day to miss the crowd.
  Well yesterday morning I wasn't feeling very good.  My stomach hurt and my guts just weren't right.  I decided to put off my Walmart trip until I picked Hailee up from school, then she could help carry in groceries and what not.  We didn't actually make it there until just after 4, much too close to the after work shopping hours. 
As we pulled in the parking lot a lot happened at once.  The lady in the stall next to me was so worried about not hitting me or any of the kids, that she didn't pay attention to the car behind her.  I hurried to get out of the car to tell her, while at that same moment a guy came up to me asking if I wanted to buy some tamales, and Hailee got the rest of the kids out of the car.  I helped the older lady back up her car, informed the guy that I didn't want any tamales, and thanked Hailee for helping with the kids.  I grabbed my purse and locked the car to head in to do our shopping.  Then Hailee asks, "why is the car still running?".  I had locked the keys in the ignition with the car still running.
I can't believe I locked my keys in the car while it was still running. 
I am so thankful for cell phones.  I called a friend, sent her to my house to get the spare keys, and had her come bring them to us at the Walmart.  We, the 4 kids and myself, went into to wait.  Now it was getting to the extreme shopping hours right before Christmas.  "I hate this!"  She finally gets there to rescue us.  I thank her and get the car keys and lock the car properly. 
I was so annoyed with myself, I decided to just get what I needed and be on my way.  Well since I was already there in the mayhem, I thought I might as well get everything so I don't have to come back.  Well we got almost everything on the list and made it out and back home in less time than anticipated. 
I guess the moral of this story is:
 Don't lock your keys in the car, especially while it's running.
And I am so grateful for friends who will come and rescue us when needed.  Even in the worst traffic possible.  Thanks again Deborah.

1 comment: