Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Hooray for Tools!

My hubby is always talking about tools.  "I need this tool, and that tool, and ....."  Really?  how many tools does one guy need?  Well that was what I thought until he sold another one of those trusty engines, remember the ones he bought from the air force base...
With all the projects that I have been working on, I informed my hubby, that I too needed some tools.  I have been using an old hand-me-down serger for years.  A couple of years ago, the said serger broke.  My hubby sewing mechanic informed me that it would cost more to fix than to buy a new machine.  Of course we couldn't get one, so I made it work as best I could.  I had to use the regular sewing machine to put all the pieces of fabric together, then serge over the raw edges to make it look nice.  Yep, I had to sew everything twice.  Well I finally got my new "tool".  And I decided to get all my projects out of the kitchen.  I did have to take over part of Hailee's room to do, it, but hooray for tools.
 Here are the projects that I have been working on:  PJ bottoms (with drawstrings instead of elastic, I think it's more comfortable) and coordinating pillowcases.  Also, I made tags for all of them, mostly because it annoys me when the kids can't tell which is the front or back on home-made clothes.  Anyway, I think they turned out pretty cute.
 And no Jen E... yours aren't here, so no peeking.
 Here's another tool that I didn't know I couldn't live without.  A bias tape maker.  I made all the drawstrings for all the pj's to match.
 Plus I made the bias tape for the sleeves on the girls dresses, these are still a work in progress.  So excited for these cute dresses, can't wait.  I got the fabric for free earlier in the year, I made up the patterns from a couple of free patterns, and now I'm making flowers for the bottom of the dresses and for their hair to match. 
 These flowers are so easy to make...
Cut out multiple sizes of circles of a polyester fabric.  Hold edge close to a candle flame.  It will start to melt and curl up.  Slowly turn to curl the entire edge of the fabric.  Hand sew a few beads in the middle, then sew on or hot glue to a hair clip.  


1 comment:

  1. Love your tags in the back of your pajamas! I used to do the same thing, except mine were NOT cute like yours! I agree on the bias tape folder gadget. . . who would figure you couldn't live without it. . . until you get one. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete