Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Random Stuff I Made

Awhile ago a friend told me that her mom was getting out of sewing.  She used to sew all the time and now that all her kids are grown, she wanted to just focus on quilting.  Because of this, she wanted to get rid of a bunch of old patterns and fabric.  Of course I said I'd take it.
Some of the patterns made me laugh, total 80's and 90's styles.  I sorted through all the boxes of patterns and kept what I wanted.  Then I went through the fabric, some were pretty small scraps or material that I couldn't use.  I sorted all that I was going to keep, then sent the rest to D.I.
I was so excited for some of the fabric, that I couldn't wait to get started.  I got some cream and black wool, perfect for a couple of pea coats. 
I went to the store spent $2 on a couple of patterns, $6 on buttons, and $5 on some lining fabric. 
2 cute warm wool coats for $13 and a few hours.  Here is the first one, the black one will have to wait until I finish the girls dresses and pj bottoms.
   
I really need to learn to take better pics.

I should have taken a picture of the lining, it's awesome.  I sewed some thin batting on the wrong side of the lining before putting it all together.  Should be quite warm to wear all winter.
Next thing I tried recently was a recipe for Orange Chicken.
Of course I can't do it like normal people.  I looked up a ton of different recipes and made my own.  And now that I have tried it once, I will probably even adjust it a little more.
Battered Orange Chicken:
Batter: Combine all ingredients until smooth.
2 eggs
1/2 C flour
1/2 C corn starch
1/4C water or 2tbsp water & 2tbsp OJ
salt & pepper

Add and stir until coated. 
Chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces.

Drop pieces of chicken individually into hot oil.  Cook until crispy.  The crispier the better.

Sauce: combine all ingredients, simmer over med. to thicken.
1/4C soy sauce
1/4 C orange juice and zest from 1 orange
1/4C vinegar
1/2 Brown Sugar
1C Water
Garlic, Ginger, Sesame Oil, Red pepper flakes

Once the sauce is to desired consistency, add cooked chicken.

Stir to coat all of the chicken, add green onions and red pepper flakes to garnish.

Serve over rice.
A pretty easy meal that had no leftovers for Damon to take to work the next day.

2 comments:

  1. Jen! You made that coat yourself? I don't think I realized what an amazing seamstress you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, you are always giving me ideas, thanks for posting them!

    ReplyDelete