Sunday, April 17, 2011

Fabric Scraps for Easter

I'm like a little kid waiting for a holiday.   Not that I will be getting anything exciting for myself.  But I am so excited to see my kids in their new Easter outfits.  Last year was probably one of the largest sewing projects I have ever done.  Dresses for all 3 girls, a shirt for Blake, a tie for Damon, and a skirt for myself.
This year because of the many adventures with my bicycle accident, I was not able to go to quite the extent. But I am very excited for this years Easter outfits.  For Christmas this last year I made some "pillow pets" for the kids, which left a bunch of fabric scraps.  Very cute scraps, but not enough to make much. 
Hailee's- Owl, Ryann's- Bunny, Phoenix's- mouse (which she already pulled off 1 eye), Blake's- dog.
Oh, was I wrong.  Plenty of scraps to make patchwork skirts.  I decided I didn't want to spend any $ on these skirts so I would have to make up a pattern.  I got each of the girls waist and hip measurements. These skirts need to be able to be pulled over their bums but still fit their waists. 
Take that number then for each additional tier I added about a half.  (Tiers example= a-20", b-30", c-45", d-65", e- 90")  For the height I measured how long I wanted it, then divided it by how many tiers I wanted.  Phoenix- 4 rows, 4", Ryann- 4 rows, 5", Hailee- 5 rows- 5".  Also, depending on how I felt like doing the hem and the waist, my measurements were a little different.  Here are some pictures to explain.
Lay out each of the pieces so you know where they will all lay.  You could use squares, but mine are all different shapes.  Small rectangles, squares, and long rectangles.  Just as long as they are all the same height.
The bottom tier is 2 x's as tall, so I can fold it over in the gather instead of having to hem it.
Sew each layer of pieces together to make the right length of each tier, then gather the top of each tier by baste stitching twice and then gathering to the right length of the bottom of the tier above.
     
                                                                                     
            
     
2 of the skirts I doubled the bottom tier height then folded and sewed it into the gather.  On the third skirt I just did a 1/4 inch hem.  I'm sure whatever you want to do is fine.
For the elastic- you can either make a casing in the top tier, or like the bottom, you can fold it over and sew it into the gather.  Use the waist measurement of elastic and thread it through the casing.  Sew the back, lining up each tier to finish it up.

On my skirt I didn't want to have a seam straight down the back.  I just sewed each tier into a circle, then gathered and sewed them together. I did have to buy the fabric for mine, but of course it was on clearance.

And we're not done yet.  I wanted to make shirts to coordinate with their skirts.  Bought white shirts then cut out the fabric scraps into the right shape.  Ironed on interfacing, then zig-zag stitched them on.

Really these pictures don't give them justice.  I will have to take pictures on Easter morning so you can actually see them on the girls.  For Blake and Damon, they just get the store bought stuff this year.  I would say for not feeling very good or capable with 1 good arm, I think I did pretty good.

Yeah for Easter Outfits!
(added 4/25/11)
Here are the finished projects on the kids.

I made the skirts, appliqued the shirts, and even made the flower bows.
I didn't take a picture of my skirt because it is a little big.  I need to go back and re-do parts of it. 
Plus my hubby wasn't up for having his picture taken for Easter (poor sport).

No comments:

Post a Comment