Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Can I Get A Break?

Ever since we have been married we have had our share of medical bills and then some.  We weren't planning on having kids for a couple of years, but that didn't happen.  Plus our little Hailee decided that when we got pregnant, it still wasn't soon enough.  She was born 6 weeks early and had to stay in the ICU.  So of course with having babies you expect medical bills, but this baby tried to rack up the bills as fast as possible. 

Sadly, now that she is 8, she is still having some of the same issues from when she was little.  Food gets caught in her esophagus, not allowing anything to pass.  Sometimes it is only for a few minutes, other times it may be caught for a few days.  Poor thing, but she really is a good sport about it.  Even with a number of different tests and procedures, she still makes the best of the situation. 

So then we decide to add to our bills by having a few more kids, yes we knew they were each going to cost.  But with the "worst insurance in the world", we would just have to make the best of it.  Thank goodness for refinancing and tax returns or we would be sank.  Even with all the bills, we wouldn't trade our kiddies for the world.

After a handful of random sicknesses over the years, we decided that really things weren't so bad.  I wanted to participate in a few races, but knew that we couldn't justify spending money that needed to go toward our family budget.  So, I started a fund raiser.  I made extra lunches for the guys at Damon's work and did some mending for some friends and neighbors.  Perfect- made enough money to register for 3 different races.

As most of you already know, the last race didn't go as planned.  At 30 miles I was cut off and wrecked my bicycle.  Actually my bike didn't have too much damage, I did.  After surgery and a bit of time, I felt like things were going good.  NOPE- I didn't heal.  At six months I had to have surgery again.  Now a month after that surgery, I feel like I'm healing pretty good.  (I guess we'll see when I see the Dr. in a couple weeks.)  But to add to my recovery, I got a cold sore- probably from the stress of not being able to take care of my family.  Then I got a sinus infection with a cough.  Now I have strep throat.  Yes, I am complaining.  Sadly my little Hailee has strep too, and I want to be able to take care of her.  Really I just want to be back to normal.  I want to go for a bike ride on a sunny afternoon, I want to walk around the neighborhood with the kids, I want to run, swim and lift weights...  I really just need a break from all this sickness and pain.  And I guess I would like a break from all the medical bills that go along with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment